on March 1, 2008 by in Uncategorized, Comments (0)

Luzzi fined and banned for 200 days over betting

MIAMI (Reuters) – Federico Luzzi has become the fifth Italian player to be banned for betting on tennis since a worldwide investigation was instigated seven months ago, the ATP said on Friday.

In a statement, the men’s governing body said the 28-year-old had been found guilty of wagering on the outcome of matches from May 2004 and April 2007. He has been banned for 200 days and fined $50,000.

An ATP betting probe was launched in August last year and the findings were presented to the independent anti-corruption hearing officer, Dr. Peter Bratschi, who ruled that Luzzi had committed an offence.

Last November, Alessio di Mauro was banned for nine months and fined $60,000 for betting on matches while Potito Starace and Daniele Bracciali were sanctioned in December for six weeks and three months respectively for similar offences.

Earlier this month, Giorgio Galimberti was banned for 100 days and fined $35,000 after being found guilty of wagering on matches from June 2003 to January 2006.

“The ATP’s Tennis Anti Corruption Program is clear that gambling on tennis matches by ATP players, player associates or staff will not be tolerated,” Gayle David Bradshaw, the ATP’s executive vice-president of rules and competition, said.

“The ATP is committed to ensuring the integrity of our sport and will continue to instigate disciplinary proceedings against anyone found to be breaking our Anti Corruption Program’s rules.”

Corruption has been high on the ATP’s agenda following an investigation last year prompted by irregular betting patterns over a match between world number five Nikolay Davydenko of Russia and Argentine Martin Vassallo Arguello in Poland.

Both players deny any involvement but several players have said they have been offered money to throw matches.

The ATP’s Anti-Corruption Program, established in 2003, prohibits wagering on any form of tennis.